Thursday, April 2, 2009

Salt as art medium

Japanese artist Motoi Yamamoto makes incredible sculptures and art installations out of salt. He began doing so after the death of his sister 12 years ago. As he explains:
"I have had the dilemma, in grief and surprise, of thinking about what I had and lost. I started making art works that reflected such feelings and continue it as if I were writing a diary. Many of my works take the form of labyrinths with complicated patterns, ruined and abandoned staircases or too narrow life-size tunnels, and all these works are made with salt."
Visit his website to get the true scope of his work, but especially click on the section called Images, where you will find a series of videos of Yamamoto creating one of his giant salt mazes.

No comments:

Post a Comment