So now let's put this together with going on a picnic or sitting by a swimming a pool. Not always practical to use nice stemware. That's why I like these stemless wineglasses from govino.
OK, they're plastic, but here's what I like about them:
- they have a very delicate feel in the hand and the rim is exceptionally thin
- the plastic is specially formulated to let you see the wine's color if you're into that
- there's a little thumb indent that adds to the design but also lets you swirl the wine in the glass (yes)
- they will not shatter if you drop them--big bonus if you're sitting on a stone patio
- they are reusable, though the makers recommend hand-washing to preserve the crystal-clear nature of the "glass"
- they do NOT contain bisphenol-A
- they are recyclable
P.S. The Cooper-Hewitt museum thinks they're pretty cool looking, too. They carry them in their museum store.