Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Sewing the holiday bird

I remember my mother and grandmother struggling to lace up the bird on Thanksgiving. They used long metal pins to "pin" the flaps of skin together over the stuffing-filled cavity. Then they ran kitchen string around the pins (kind of like lacing up your ice skates) to keep the turkey closed, thus keeping the stuffing moist.

I have not carried on this tradition, because it seems like such a giant hassle. I usually stick a heel of bread at the end of the cavity, which is the lazy person's solution to the lacing problem.

However, I would be willing to reconsider this position if I had this little gizmo called TheFoodLoop Lace. It's a 22-inch length of heat-resistant silicone (good up to 675°F) with a stainless steel needle at one end. You sew up the turkey, leaving the needle in place. Once the bird is cooked, you remove it, wash it (it's dishwasher safe) and store it until you need it again.

It sells for $10 from fusionbrands.

No comments:

Post a Comment