Thursday, May 28, 2009

K.A.T.E.S. Eggplant-Bacon Sauté with Kale

Kale Apple Tarragon Eggplant Smoked bacon

The second recipe from the Alphabet Challenge:
Come up with recipes using only ingredients that start with the letters that spell out my name K + A + T + E + S (the first initial of my last name to give me a total of 5). Oil, salt and pepper do not count.
So I made a little eggplant sauté that was surprisingly yummy (it got better and better as it sat). But in the interest of full disclosure, the next time I make it I will leave out the kale, which was really only there because it got me the letter K. Another bright green garnishy thing might be fine in its place, or nothing at all.

Eggplant-Bacon Sauté with Kale
Peel or don't peel the apple, your choice. I left it on for a little color,

5 large kale leaves, stems discarded
3 slices smoked bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/4 cup water
1 eggplant (about 1-1/2 pounds), peeled and cubed
1 apple, cubed
1/2 teaspoon tarragon
1/4 teaspoon salt
Generous pinch of pepper

1. In a vegetable steamer, cook the kale just until limp and bright green (to tenderize it). When cool, cut into thin shreds.
2. In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium-low heat until crisp, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the water, eggplant, apple, tarragon, salt and pepper, and toss together. Cover and steam over medium heat until the eggplant is softened. Remove from the heat, stir in the kale, and let cool to warm.
4. Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled.

Makes 4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment